Preparation is key for a great experience.
At your first cleaning appointment you should be able to expect professional and respectful service. Prepping areas so that the cleaning technicians can get to everything you want cleaned is vital. Most companies will not move clutter and shuffle piles of paperwork around to get to an area. Make sure all areas being cleaned are clear of clutter prior to your appointment.
Your service provider should send you a document that’s known as the Customer Guidelines. This will help you greatly with understanding what they move, what they don’t move as well as other little things that perhaps you didn’t think to ask about.
Some quick hints to help you prepare:
- Make sure sinks are clear of dishes (most professional services do not include dishes in their scope of work.)
- Strip bedding. If your company makes the bed with clean linens when you come, try to have the bed stripped for them. This enables them to spend less time on bedding and more time on cleaning.
- Put toys away. Pet and children’s toys can present a risk to vacuums. Many a Lego have seen the end of their days this way.
- Clothing picked up from flooring. If you have a teenager who can’t seem to hit the basket, make sure they know to get their clothing up the evening prior to cleaning so that their floor can be vacuumed.
- Most cleaning companies will insist on only lightly dusting desks. This is due to there typically being personal billing and documents in piles. If you want your desk thoroughly dusted when they come, be sure to put this type of stuff away so your cleaners feel more comfortable cleaning the space.
- Be quick to give feedback. Especially early in a relationship with a cleaning service, they greatly depend on feedback from you to make your experience a good one. Every home, spaces within the home and people living there are different from others. It can take 2-3 visits before your cleaning crew has a set routine. This is the crucial time to let them know if they’re missing something so that correction can become part of their routine within the home going forward.